Travel in the USA

  • A travel request must be approved prior to any travel outside the State of Georgia. If only mileage is reported for in-state travel, a travel request is not required.

  • Combining business and personal travel is allowable, if the personal travel does not cause the University additional cost. Cost comparisons should be done at the time of booking. A search should be done in Concur for the business travel only. Screenshots or printouts of these pages must be kept as documentation of the cost. The cost comparison should be attached to the travel request. Personal travel also requires written pre-approval from your supervisor. Travel arrangements must be made to accommodate the business duties of the traveler and not personal preference. Rental vehicles may only be used for official State business. The state liability policy is only in effect while the employee is using the rented vehicle for official State business. Friends, family members or pets are prohibited from riding in a State rented vehicle.

  • All employee airfare and rental vehicles should be booked in Concur or by calling Travel Inc. at 770-291-5190 or 877-548-2996. Lodging should be booked through Concur with the exception of conference travel. If you are able to obtain a conference rate for lodging by booking directly with the hotel, this is allowable.
  • Yes, you are still required to follow all State of Georgia, Board of Regents and Kennesaw State Travel Policies. If it is determined, that your travel caused an additional cost to the University, you will be asked to return the funds to the Bursar’s Office.
  • All employees are required to make reservations through the Concur or Travel Inc.  per statewide Travel Policy. 

    Address any Travel Policy Exceptions prior to the trip start date. You must send an email to the department manager requesting approval and provide clear business purpose for the exception.  Forward the manager’s approval email to the Travel Inbox at for review.
  • Yes, state policy does allow lodging reservations outside of Concur when obtaining a conference rate.
  • Upgrades are not allowable for domestic travel. If you would like to upgrade for personal reasons, book your flight through Concur as usual. Once you have received confirmation of your flight, call the airline directly to upgrade your seat.
    • All airport and out-of-state vehicle rentals for employees must be completed through Hertz.
    • If Hertz does not have any vehicles, contact the Travel department at 470-578-4394 for assistance.
    • Bookings must be made in Concur or by contacting Travel Inc. (770-291-5190) to be direct billed to the University and be under the state liability insurance coverage.
    • Fuel Service, refueling, navigation or satellite radio options should be declined. These expenses are non-reimbursable.
    • The allowable vehicle classes are Compact, Intermediate or Full size. Vans may be rented if there are 4 or more travelers. Vans up to 12-passenger must be rented through Hertz. 
    • If you did not receive a final receipt, please visit Hertz to obtain a copy to attach to the expense report. 
  • Compact, Mid-size and Full size are the allowable vehicle classes. Vans can be rented if there are 4 or more travelers. Vans up to 12 passenger must be rented through Hertz or Enterprise.
  • No, any economy sharing lodging is not allowable and will not be reimbursed. This includes but is not limited to Airbnb, VRBO, and HomeAway.
  • The per diem rate is based on your location. You can find the current rates for your destination here. You will only receive 75% on the first and last day of travel. State employees do not receive the $5.00 incidentals included in the per diem rate.
  • Yes, this is allowable, if you are a qualifying employee whose annual salary is $50,000 or less. The cash advance should be requested through Concur at least 5 days prior to travel but no more than 30 days.
  • Receipts must be kept for expenses $25.00 or more. Receipts are required for the following regardless of dollar amount: Airline fares, hotel expenses, rental car expenses, meals unless claiming per diem, rail fares, registration fees, and visa/passport fees. Receipts should show name and address of the vendor, date of service, description of goods/service and amount paid for each individual item.
  • A missing receipt form can be completed for expenses more than $25 where a receipt was lost or not received.

  • You should preferably submit your expenses within 10 days of your trip completion but no later than 45 days. Expenses submitted after 60 days from the trip completion will be considered taxable income.
  • Please click here to review the how-to guides and videos for creating an expense report. If you need further assistance, contact the Travel team at 470-578-4394.
  • Any available expenses should be imported into the expense report for the trip where the expenses were incurred.
  • No, do not enter these expenses on your expense report. Since another accounts payable tool has already processed these expenses, reporting in Concur would create a duplicate entry on your department's budget.
  • Your default manager will automatically be included. You should add your business manager as well. If you have expenses allocated to a different speed chart/budget, you should include the approvers for that budget as well. All approvers should be entered before the back-office approval.
  • Prior to the change or cancellation of airfare, please be aware that any additional cost incurred requires review and approval from the President’s office which the Travel Department will facilitate.  If the reason for the change is not approved, it may result in an out-of-pocket expense to the employee. Any change needed should be submitted to your approver. Cancelled airfare should be submitted in an expense report as soon as it is cancelled. You will need call Travel Inc at 770-291-5190 or follow these instructions to use the Concur system to cancel or change the booking.